Stretch marks is one of the most common skin problems women have to deal with as they lose their youthfulness to the aging process. It’s something that a lot of women don’t like showing on their bodies.
Dermatologists define stretch marks as basically lines or narrow strips on the skin with a colored hue. Stretch marks first appear as thin and long reddish lines then it later fades into a slightly off-colored hue that’s similar to the color of your skin tone and very visible upon close examination. They can appear on any part of your body, but they are basically found in places where a large amount of fat is stored, such as thighs, buttocks, breasts and back.
Causes of Stretch Marks
Rapid weight gain
The more weight you gain in a short time, the more severe your stretch marks problem on your skin will become. This probably is one of the most popular causes of stretch marks for most people. Anywhere on a person’s body where fat is stored, that is where you will most likely encounter stretch marks.
Stretch marks caused by growth spurt is normally linked with teenagers, especially those rapidly gaining weight. Stretch marks normally appear during growth spurts, especially during puberty, where the body grows faster than the elasticity of the skin can handle.
It isn’t really ideal to use stretch marks to identify a weight problem because it can happen to even those who are physically fit. Stretch marks can be found on the body of weight lifters who are putting on more muscle mass at a fast pace. The muscles on their skin begins to grow too fast and their skin stretches in a bid to catch up by stretching as much as possible to house the growth.
READ ALSO: 5 Risky Exercises
During pregnancy, the stomach is expanding at such a fast pace thereby leading to stretch marks. It’s very likely that women develop stretch marks around the belly area and multiple pregnancies are going to lead to formation of new stretch marks after each pregnancy.
Hormone imbalance might be one of the possible causes of your stretch marks. This is because hormone changes occur during puberty, obesity, pregnancy and even weightlifting. That’s why it’s difficult to identify the exact cause of stretch marks. Hormone imbalances happen during these times which causes elastin fiber and collagen to tear over stretched skin which then creates the appearance of stretch marks.
Getting rid of stretch marks on buttocks, hips and thighs naturally
Thighs and hips are some of the most commonly affected areas of stretch marks. When you start to gain weight rapidly on your thighs and hips these are the parts of your body that will be most affected. The fiber in your skin starts to break when you start to gain weight at a rapid pace. When the blood isn’t pumped through the blood vessels under the broken tissues it will leave these marks that turn into white lines that are easily seen.
Note that stretch marks in their late stage can be very difficult to completely eliminate. That’s why treating them as soon as they appear at the early stage is your best chance. Also, getting rid of stretch marks completely is almost impossible. However, there are some natural methods without side effects that you can use to make them less visible.
Apart from being a morning booster, coffee contains properties that will help to fight off cellulite and stretch marks. Using this homemade coffee scrub will help to get rid of stretch marks and make them less noticeable and also improve your skin in just a couple weeks.
1/2 cup organic coconut oil, 1/2 cup of ground coffee, 1.5 tbsp of ground cinnamon, 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Add all ingredients together in a clean container and mix them vigorously until it forms a paste.
- Gently scrub the affected area in the morning for 8 minutes.
- Make sure that the scrub is stored in an airtight container so that its properties remains intact.
This one of the best homemade remedies to use in eliminating stretch marks. It contains glycolic acid that will help to stimulate your skin and help generate a younger, fresher and glowing skin.
The small particles in sugar will act as an exfoliation agent to remove dead skin cells.
Items required are;
Lemon juice, 1 tbsp of sugar, Almond oil
How to use it
- Mix the sugar, lemon juice and almond oil then stir for 6 minutes.
- Gently scrub the stretch mark area for 10 minutes and then wash off with water.
This acts as a powerful natural remedy for stretch marks, sunburn, dry skin and acne. It also helps to fight off infections like chronic itching, athlete’s foot, warts and ringworm.
Whenever you use castor oil on your skin it will stimulate the production of collagen and elastin. Elastin is very critical because it’s the protein in the connective tissue that allows your skin to stretch according to your body’s shape and growth.
Items required are;
Warm water, 2 tablespoons of castor oil, clean water bottle, and Clear plastic wrap.
- Apply a thick layer of castor oil on the stretch mark area and wrap it with plastic.
- Then apply some heat with using the warm water bottle for 15 minutes.
Olive oil contains four major antioxidants that work as a moisturizer, skin protector and cleanser. Some of these antioxidants are vitamin E and vitamin A. Vitamin E will help your skin to neutralize the oxidative effect of free radicals that damage your collagen. If this doesn’t happen regularly then it can cause the appearance of fine lines, skin dryness and wrinkles.
Olive oil, water
- Massage warm pure on the olive oil on the stretch mark area for 10 minutes and then wash it off with water.
Cocoa Shea butter
This is very effective for getting rid of stretch marks because it’s very rich in vitamins and antioxidants that protect the skin against free radicals and prevent premature aging.
1 tbsp of vitamin E oil, 2 tbsp of cocoa butter, 2 tbsp of shea butter
- Melt the shea and cocoa butter then add vitamin E oil to the melted butters.
- Mix and store in airtight container then you’re going to let it cool down to a creamy state.
- Apply overnight to the affected area.
Egg white contains vitamin A and collagen which is the most abundant protein found in animal connective tissues. It also gives your skin firmness and constant skin cell rejuvenation.
1 egg, water
How to use it
- Separate the yolk from the egg white.
- Now stir the egg whites and apply it on to the stretch marks. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse off with water.
Lemon juice contains vitamin C which ensures the production of collagen. Also, it helps the growth of cells and blood vessels and help to maintain the furnace on the strand of your skin.
Warm water, 1 lemon
- Divide lemons into 2 halves and then take half of the lemon and rub it on to the stretch marks.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash it off with warm water.
Aloe Vera secretes a very potent clear gel that heals wound when applied to it heals it. Also, it contains plant collagen which helps to repair your skin elasticity and maintain youthfulness.
Water, Aloe Vera leaves
- Gently remove the outer layer of the aloe Vera leaf then scoop out the clear gel with a spoon.
- Apply and massage the affected area with the gel and leave it on for 2 to 3 hours.
- After that time frame wash it off with water.
Potato contains starch which has properties that soothes the skin. It also has the presence of antioxidants which helps to get rid of stretch marks.
What will you need
1 medium sized potato,lukewarm water
- Cut the potato in the thick slices and then rub the slices gently over the affected areas.
- Now leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off with the lukewarm water.