Advantages and Disadvantages of Keto Diet

The easiest way activate ketosis is to consume no more than 20 to 50 grams of carbs a day from whole foods like vegetables that scarcely affect your blood sugar. Dr. Mackenzie Cervenka, M.D., associate professor of neurology and medical director of the Johns Hopkins Hospital Adult Epilepsy Diet Center, and ketosis researcher says for keto diet, about 90 percent of calories should come from fat, with the remaining 10 percent divided between carbs and protein.

Advantages of Keto diet

Weight loss 

Keto diet which includes foods rich in fat, protein, and fiber reduces body fat while preserving muscle mass. Ketone energy can’t be stored, so people are forced to use it and may end up more active. Initial weight loss often results from the loss of fluids, not fat, because, on a low-carb diet, the body produces less insulin, and insulin causes the body to retain water. Which means lost pounds can easily return if keto dieter pauses, and insulin levels rise.

READ ALSO: Ketogenic Diet for Beginners

Seizures

Keto diet was first used without medication to treat pediatric epilepsy, since ketosis helps neurons function properly, both by subduing the nervousness and inhibition that leads to seizures.

Diabetes

People with type 1 diabetes requires insulin shots to clear sugar from their blood streams, but ketosis does the same thing. Type 2 diabetics, on the other hand, are carb intolerant. Since the keto diet calls for very few carbs, research shows it can be a cure-all that helps patients stop off medication.

Cancer 

Dietary changes that promote ketosis are also being studied for improving outcomes in cancer in addition to chemotherapy or radiation. Certain cancer cells require glucose to reproduce and need insulin to absorb it unlike healthy cells, which can use ketones for fuel. Since ketosis lowers insulin levels, it can starve cancer cells, effectively hedging their growth.

Alzheimer’s Disease

Ketones are excellent fuel for the brain, and might aid in prevention or treatment of Alzheimer’s may originate from insulin resistance in the brain.

READ ALSO: Keto Diet: Everything You Need to Know

Polycystic ovary syndrome, PCOS

For PCOS, low-carb diet, which helps balance hormone levels, may ease symptoms of this endocrine disorder, such as irregular periods and excess hair growth. Benefits may be tied to weight loss resulting from ketogensis.

Heart health 

The notion that intake of high-fat is harmful to heart-disease risk, is not the case on the keto diet. Cholesterol levels improve with fewer markers of inflammation.

Endurance

Marathoners who burn through carb-rich meals in spur-of-the-moment often train in ketosis to help their bodies move readily between carb and fat-burning modes. They manipulate the way their muscles use fuel so they can get more without stocking up.

The Downsides of the Keto Diet

No diet is perfect. Short-term side effects of keto diet may include;

Keto flu

Depending on a person’s zero diet and its carbohydrate content, the drop in insulin that results from changing things up can trigger flu-like symptoms such as nausea, fatigue, and headaches for the first few days. This could be caused by dehydration from initial fluid loss. Symptoms typically go away on their own, but drinking water, a high-sodium broth, or a sugar-free electrolyte drink can help.

Bad breath 

Ketosis can cause bad breath because it produces an organic compound called acetone that’s eliminated by the lungs, which can cause a person’s breath to be offensive.

Digestive issues 

Constipation and bloating are common complaints among keto dieters. Since less water is retained on the keto diet, dehydration could be to blame, as well as lack of fiber. However, eating high-fiber foods like veggies and drinking plenty of water can help.

Kidney stress

This is one rare but potential side effect of relinquishing carbs. High concentration ketones can make your blood acidic, leading to kidney stones.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *