We have no problems with ants being outside or far away from the house, but once they get into your house, they become problematic. They may be seen in your dining area, kitchen, bedroom, living room and other parts of the house. You will need to identify the type of ants that is entering your house. Sugar ants are most commonly found in houses while carpenter ants are the common outdoor ants. Depending on that, you will be able to choose the best measures to get rid of the ants. You can get rid of ants without using pesticides.
You may see ants parading towards your sweets, cookies and other leftover food items. Killing them by squishing is not the best remedy.
Types of Ants:
- Carpenter Ants:Carpenter ants are not found inside your house. They are mostly to be seen on the wooden blocks around your house. They can be seen on the doors, window panes, wooden flooring, etc. The carpenter ants generally do not collect food to take back to their nest. They finish up their food on the spot and move back to their nest with bulging bellies.
- Sugar Ants:Sugar ants live on sugary products and also carry their food back to their nest as well. So they form a trail from their nest to the surplus or intact food particles. Thereby, you will need to look out for their nest to completely eliminate them.
- Argentine Ants:Their habitats are usually in wet environments around food sources. These ants do not cause any health threat. They contaminate the food and excrete fusty odor if they are crushed.
- Odorous House Ants:These species form their habitat in exposed soil, wall cracks and under floor inside homes. These types of ants do not cause any health issue or damage to buildings. However, they can contaminate the food items and should be eliminated. They give out coconut-like smell when crushed, that’s why they are called odorous House Ants.
- Red Imported Fire Ants:They make their nest in outdoors in landscape areas, mainly near the structural foundation and they make entry to your house through holes and cracks in the exterior. They attack with a painful sting if their nest is disturbed.
- Pavement Ants:They make their nest under cracks in pavements. They can spread in building through holes in the structure. They only contaminate the food but do not cause any health risk.
- Crazy Ants: They appear in the rainy season due to reduction in the supply of honeydew, which is their main source of food. Their nest could be outdoors, underneath the carpet, on the floor and next to the foundations. These ants do not cause any health issue, but can cause problems in your house.
Best Ways to Get Rid of Ants in the House:
- Use Common Salt
This is one of the simplest ways to get rid of ants in the house and also to kill them instantly. Boil some water in a pan and add salt to it according to the requirement. Transfer it into a spray bottle. Then Spray it over all the area, where you have noticed the ants moving around and also at their nest.
- Use Vinegar
Vinegar is very potent in eliminating ants. Spray vinegar on the path and following the trails to their nest. You can equally spray the vinegar in sinks, counter tops, corners of kitchen, window, and every corner of your house. This remedy will help you to get rid of the ants in the house permanently.
READ ALSO: 10 Natural Remedies for Sore Throat
- Use Baby Powder
The strong essence of a talcum powder or baby powder tends to chase ants away. It may not kill them, but it would cause them to quickly change their habitat. Sprinkle some baby powder on them, following them to their nest.
- Use Citrus from Lemon
For this method, the sour essence of the lemon will eliminate the ants. Add some lemon juice and water in a spray bottle. And spray it over the trail of the ants. And also over the ants that are moving around your house. This is one of the simple and effective measures to prevent ants.
READ ALSO:How to Get Rid of Scars: 8 Home Remedies
- Baking Soda Will Help
The use of baking soda is another ideal home remedy to get rid of ants fast. Take baking soda powder and then make a line around the areas where they appear mostly. Ants are unable to cross the line made of baking soda. This method is very active to protect any special food item from ants, just make boundaries of baking soda around the container prevent ants invasion.
- Use Pepper
Pepper is another effective remedy to get rid of ants in the house. You can use both cayenne and black pepper. Just mix some amount of pepper in water, then spray it over the ants. The ants will instantly move away and will not come back to their trail.
- Boric Acid Will Help
Boric acid is very harmful to animals. Avoid using it if you have pets like dogs and cats at home. Boric acid is a toxic element and helps get rid of ants from your house and garden. Mix equal parts of borax and powdered sugar together. Put the boric acid mixture over the areas, where you have infestation of ants.
- Use Bay Leaves
Put few bay leaves in or near your food items like sugar, flour, and other items to keep ants away. However, putting bay leaves could alter the taste and smell of the food item. To avoid this problem put bay leave in a container then place it. This trick is really effective in controlling ant infestation.
- Chalk Powder
Chalk is made of calcium carbonate which will repel ants. They can’t cross the line formed by chalk. Chalk powder works exactly the way baking soda works. The main advantage of using chalk powder is that you can draw lines on vertical surfaces also. Chalk powder is a great ingredient to get rid of ants in the house fast and naturally to keep ants far away.
- Use Powdered Yeast
Powdered yeast has the ability to completely exterminate ants from your home. Sprinkle powdered yeast on the area invaded by the ants. You can also make boundaries around your food items, cookies jar or sweets jar. Powdered yeast is one of the most powerful home remedies for ants.
- Use Soapy Water
Soapy water is very active, not only to get rid of ants in the house but kill other crawly insects. Mix some soap or dish liquid in water, then spray it over the areas where ants are making their trails. It will immediately disperse from there. Finally, the ants will disappear from the spot as well.
- Use Perfume
Soak cotton balls in the perfume then place those cotton balls on the ant path. Place it around the corners of your house too where you think they enter from. Due to the strong smell, the ants will never come in that direction, where the cotton balls are placed.
- Use Mint
Mint is used to prevent ants entering your house. If you drink mint tea, then try not to throw away the mint tea bags. Instead place it in the areas, where you believe that ants will enter your house. Also, another way of using mint to get rid of ants is to dry out the leaves and crush it into powder and sprinkle the powder in the affected areas of your house.
- Use Cucumber
The taste of cucumber will keep the ants away from your kitchen. So, cut a cucumber into small pieces and place those pieces around the path of the ants and around the corners of your house.
- Grounded Coffee
Grounded coffee is another good remedy to eliminate ants from the house fast. According to studies, ants don’t like the scent of coffee grounds, this property can help you to get rid of ants. Sprinkle coffee grounds around the perimeter of your house, especially on the possible entrance points. The smell will keep the ants out of your home.