Whether it is acute or persistent, cough is an uncomfortable condition and can interfere with your daily activities. They are generally two types of cough:
- Chesty cough: This produces phlegm
- Dry cough: This is tickly and doesn’t produce any phlegm.
Main causes of cough include bacteria, viruses, environmental pollutants and some underlying medical conditions such as tuberculosis, asthma, or lung cancer.
Most cough should go away within 3 weeks or less, however if doesn’t then consult your doctor to rule out or treat underlying health condition if any.
There are many home remedies such as ginger which helps get rid of your cough, giving you instant relief. Ginger soothes the irritation and is suitable for both dry and cough with phlegm. Apart from helping you get rid of your cough, ginger also improves your immunity so make it a part of your daily diet.
Benefits of Ginger
- It contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Ginger is natural analgesic to alleviate pain and irritation in the throat
- Its compounds gingerol and zingiberene increase your immunity.
- It eases the throat so the reflex action doesn’t take place.
- It easily removes the mucus from the airways
7 Effective Ways to Use Ginger to Get Rid of Cough
You can use it alone or with other natural ingredients to get relief and remove your cough fast.
Make sure that you do not drink or eat any other thing before and after 15-30 minutes of taking it. This helps ginger to work effectively.
This is easy to prepare.
- Cut and peel half inch of ginger root
- Grate it or chop it in small pieces
- Put one and half cup of water in a saucepan
- Add grated ginger and put the saucepan on heat to boil
- Boil until the water is reduced to one cup
- Take the saucepan off the heat
- Allow it cool
- Add a teaspoon big honey and juice if half lemon and stir well
- Sip and enjoy
Do it 3-4 times during the day for a few days until your cough is completely gone.
Ginger with Honey
- Cut, peel and grate half inch of ginger root
- Squeeze out the juice
- Add one teaspoon of honey and mix properly
- Keep the mix in your mouth
- Do not try to swallow. Let the honey ginger mix with your saliva and slowly move down your throat due to gravity
- Do it 3 times daily until your cough clears out
READ ALSO: Fast Home Remedies to Get Rid of a Hangover
Ginger with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another powerful remedy for cough.
- Cut, peel and grate half inch of ginger root and squeeze it to extract juice
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Add 3 tablespoons of water
- Add ½ teaspoon of honey
- Mix well and sip
- Do it 2-3 times daily
Ginger with Pineapple Juice
Pineapple contains a natural anti-inflammatory compound named bromelain which eases mucus effectively. Adding ginger in pineapple juice makes it a very potent cough syrup.
- remove the hard shell of a ripe small pineapple to get the flash
- cut the flash in small pieces and toss it in a blender
- blend well and strain the juice
- grate an inch of ginger root and squeeze the juice out
- add it to pineapple juice and mix well
- drink and enjoy
- do it twice daily
READ ALSO: 8 Home Remedies For Treating Angina
Ginger and Peppermint Leaves
Mint leaves make a good tea
- pour one and a half cup of water in a saucepan
- put the pan on heat
- add 6-8 fresh mint leaves
- peel and finely chop half inch of ginger root and add to water
- boil it till 1/3 water is evaporated
- take it off the heat and switch off the burners
- let it cook to moderate temperature
- strain and drink
- do it 2-3 times a day
Ginger and Garlic
Garlic contain allicin which is a powerful antibacterial compound.
- grate an inch of peeled ginger root
- grate a big clove of garlic
- mix both grated items and squeeze the juice out
- add this juice to a teaspoon of honey and mix well
- keep this mix in your mouth for 2 minutes
- don’t swallow
- let the juice move down your throat by gravity
- do it 2-3 times a day
Ginger with Black Pepper
Black pepper promotes blood circulation and mucus flow. Adding it to ginger helps to get rid of cough fast
- peel and chop fine half inch of ginger root
- crush 4-5 seeds of black pepper
- add these ingredients in one and half cup of water in a sauce pain
- bring it to boil
- take it off the heat and let it cool to acceptable temperature
- drink it warm
- do it 2-3 times a day
Any one the above ginger remedies will help you to deal with your cough effectively. You can try some or all of them to get variety.
- Consult your doctor, it the persistent cough doesn’t go away within 3 weeks.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water and other healthy fluids to stay and remain hydrated. Hydration reduces cough.
- Avoid cigarette smoke and other atmospheric pollutants
- Avoid cold water and cold drinks
- Avoid eating banana, chocolates and other foods that promotes mucus formation during the period of your cough
- Avoid ginger altogether if you are allergic to it.