There are so many skin whitening products in the market which promises great results, but they contain some harsh chemicals that will harm your skin if used for long.
Everyone desires to have a spotless and gorgeous skin, however due to many factors this dream may become far-fetched. Some of these factors include: sunrays, stress, poor diet, pollution, aging, scars, freckles, dry skin, skin irritations or allergies, rashes, genetics, etc.
These factors will increase the melanin production, thereby leading to dark and uneven skin tone.
Baking soda is one of the best natural remedies that treat your uneven skin tone.
How does baking soda whiten your skin tone?
- Baking soda, also called sodium bicarbonate acts as an excellent exfoliant that removes dead skin cells and cellular damages throughout the applied skin.
- Baking soda balances your pH levels with its amphoteric property that helps to neutralize the acid – alkaline nature of the skin.
- It contains antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that treat all the infections on your skin.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that soothes down your irritation, pain, and inflammation on the skin.
- It removes excess oil from the skin with its good oil – absorbing property and thus cleanses your skin deeply to prevent the accumulation from clogged pores.
- Regular usage will keep your skin softer and whiter with an even skin tone.
How to Whiten Your Skin Using Baking Soda
Dark and uneven skin tone can be really embarrassing, so here are few methods of using baking soda for whitening your skin.
Method 1: Baking Soda only
Baking soda mixed with water will give many startling results that include even out skin tone.
- Add 2 parts of baking soda in 1 part of water and stir well to form a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas and massage moderately.
- Allow it sit for few minutes till it dries.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water followed by cold water.
- Repeat it 2 – 3 times weekly to get rid of uneven skin tone.
- Use honey, rosewater, almond milk, hydrogen peroxide, or buttermilk instead of water for preparing the paste.
- Or scrub the affected area with baking soda paste gently or mix baking soda in your cleanser before using.
- Or simply mix 1 – 2 cups of baking soda and 2 cups of Epsom salt in your bathtub filled with warm water. Soak in this water for about 30 minutes and then rinse with normal water to remove toxins.
Method 2: Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar
Baking soda and apple cider vinegar will exfoliate the skin and balances pH levels to prevent dark and irregular skin tone.
- Add 3 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar in 2 tablespoons of baking soda and stir well to make a paste.
- Apply it on the dark areas of the skin and rinse off with warm water followed by cold water after 15 minutes.
- Dry your skin and apply moisturizer.
- Repeat this process regularly for once or twice a week.
- Or instead of 3 tablespoons of ACV, you can use 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of water, for those with sensitive skin.
- You can add some fresh lime or calamansi or lemon juice in this mix before applying.
Method 3: Baking Soda with Lemon Juice and Coconut Oil
Lemon contains vitamin C and citric acid that helps to get rid of irregular pigmentation, enlarged pores and thus whitens your skin. Coconut oil and tea tree oil soothes and fights against the skin problems.
- Combine 1/8 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1/2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and 2 – 4 drops of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon of baking soda to make a paste.
- Apply this mixture on the skin and scrub it after a couple of minutes.
- Rinse off with water and repeat it regularly for once or twice a week.
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of baking soda and lemon juice and 1 egg in 1/4 cup of plain yogurt. Apply it on the skin and rinse off with warm water and then with cold water after 15 – 20 minutes. Dry the skin and moisturize it.
- You can also mix enough freshly extracted lemon juice in 1/2 cup of baking soda. Apply it on your skin and rub it gently. Rinse off after few minutes and repeat it for whitening your skin.
- Or simply mix 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and baking soda in 2 teaspoons of warm water. Apply it using a cotton ball.
- You can replace the lemon juice with no pulp grapefruit juice or orange juice.
Method 4: Baking Soda with Strawberries
This combination will eliminate dead cells, excess sebum, and other impurities effectively from your skin. It lightens up your skin by reducing the melanin production.
- Firstly mash a ripe strawberry and mix it well in 1 tablespoon of baking soda to make a paste.
- Spread it on the affected skin and wait for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Scrub it gently in circular motions for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Wash your skin with cool water and continue this process.
Alternatively: Use tomato instead of strawberries by stirring 1 teaspoon of baking soda with enough freshly extracted tomato juice. Apply it on your skin and rinse with water after 15 minutes.
Method 5: Baking Soda with Corn Flour and Turmeric
This face pack will bleach your skin to lighten up the dark spots, acne scars, freckles and other scars on the skin.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and turmeric, 1 tablespoon of corn flour, 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and few drops of rosewater.
- Stir to make a pack and apply it directly on your face and neck.
- Rinse off with cool water after 30 minutes and dry
- Apply any facial moisturizer.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid applying baking soda on sores, burns, bruises, sunburn, cuts or on any damaged skin, as it results in irritation.
- It is best to do a skin patch test before applying baking soda directly on your skin to know whether it would cause any form of irritation.
- It is advisable to apply moisturizer after applying baking soda and also start using baking soda in small amounts and then gradually increase its quantity and frequency.
- You can likewise mix equal quantities of organic coconut oil and baking soda and a little of warm water to make a paste. Apply it on your face and massage gently. Rinse off after few minutes.
- Drink plenty of water, do some regular exercises to avoid stress, follow some skin care hygiene, consume a healthy diet, etc. to get rid of toxins and to enhance your skin tone.
- Avoid over usage of baking soda on the skin, as it causes dryness and irritation on the skin.
- Consult your dermatologist before using any natural remedies on your skin.
Disclaimer: The content provided on healthdiary365.com is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical doctor or healthcare professional.