Neck pain can be a dull or a sharp ache in the neck and shoulder, caused by an injury, or a poor posture. Structures like lymph nodes, arteries, skin, muscles, and veins are inside the neck. So, problems with any of these structures will cause neck pain. There are a variety of reasons that can cause neck pain like muscle tension and strain due to long working hours at the desk, sleeping in a bad position and jerking the neck during exercise. Nutritional deficiencies, cervical spondylosis, nerve compression, and other may be responsible for neck pain. If you have a severe neck pain caused by poor posture or exercise, you can consult your doctor.
READ ALSO: What Causes Pain in Ear When Swallowing?
However, if your neck pain is caused by poor posture or exercise, you can try these simple home remedies for neck pain.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants that can ease neck pain. Soak a towel in apple cider vinegar and place it in the affected area of the neck. Leave it on for a few hours. Repeat this daily.
- Use Essential Oils: Essential oils like peppermint oil, basil oil and lavender oil are effective in treating neck pain. These oils contain anti-inflammatory properties and have a calming effect on the muscles. Make a blend of all the essential oils mentioned above. Mix a few drops of warm olive oil and massage your neck for a few minutes.
- Hot Oil Massage: Hot oil massage is also another active remedy for treating neck pain. Gently massaging the neck area will improve the blood circulation and reduce the pain. Warm up a tablespoon of mustard oil or coconut oil. Massage your neck with it for a few minutes.
- Ice Pack: Ice is one of the easiest home remedies for neck pain as the cold temperature will lower the infection and ease pain. Apply some crushed iced cubes in a towel. Wrap it up properly and place it on the affected area. Allow it on for 15 minutes. Repeat this every 3 hours.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is another wonderful spice for treating neck pain. It contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can fight off inflammation and reduce swelling. Mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk and heat this mixture. Allow it to cool, then add few drops of honey. Drink this mixture twice a day.
- Epsom Salt: This contains magnesium which helps in regulating multiple enzymes in the body. It also improves blood circulation and eases muscle tension and stress. Fill your bath-tub with warm water, add epsom salt to it and soak yourself in it for 10-15 minutes.
- Cayenne Pepper: Cayenne pepper contains a compound called capsaicin which contains anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that aids in easing neck pain. Add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder to two tablespoons of warm olive oil. Mix it and apply it on the neck area.
- Ginger: Ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties that improves blood circulation in the neck area. Cut a piece of ginger and add it to a cup of boiling water. Strain the water and add honey to it. Drink the ginger tea daily for a few days.
- Exercises For Neck Pain: Certain neck exercises can bring relief from a neck pain. Flexible exercises will ease the stiffness in your neck. Nod your head slowly forward and backward and from one side to the other. Repeat this exercise for 15 minutes every few hours till the stiffness stops.
- Hydrotherapy: Hydrotherapy is done by standing under a shower so that the force of the water can reduce the pain in the affected area. Target the neck area with lukewarm water for four minutes while under the shower. Switch to cold water for 60 seconds. Repeat this five times.
Disclaimer: The content provided on healthdiary365.com is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical doctor or healthcare professional.