Stepping out for an important function with hairy arms and legs can affect your self-confidence. If your schedule is so tight such that you lack the time to head to a salon, you can wax your arms and legs from the comfort of your home.
Sugar wax is currently trending and several people are going for this method of waxing which can be done at their own convenience. It is quick and easy to prepare and apply, it also gives you the much-desired look and feel.
How to do sugar wax at home
Getting a wax done at a salon can be quite expensive, but doing sugar wax from the comfort of your home is cheap. You can use this recipe to wax your legs, arms, eyebrows and upper lips.
- 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. (squeezed lime can also be used).
- One cup of raw granulated sugar, preferably white sugar. (Don’t use powdered sugar as it will not work in this recipe).
- 2 tablespoon water.
- Medium to large size cooking pot.
Preparation of The Sugar Wax
- Put the sugar into the cooking pot.
- Add the water to the sugar in the cooking pot.
- Add the fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
- Consistently stir the mixture before you turn on the heat. Do the stirring gently.
- Before bringing the heat down, allow the mixture in the cooking pot to reach a boiling point. Ensure that you do not burn the mixture. In case you accidently burn it, the mixture would solidify on cooling, making it unusable for sugar waxing.
- Again, keep stirring. Do this gently but consistently. At this point, the sugar would have completely dissolved in the liquid.
- When the mixture in the cooking pot has turned into a golden colour, stop heating it. The consistency should be that of a hot syrup. Take out a spoonful of it and allow it to cool down in the refrigerator. This is done in order to check the consistency. When cool, the consistency of the mixture should be thicker than that of honey. In case you do not find the texture and consistency of the cooled mixture as required, then heat it again. Place the cooking pot with the mixture on about medium to low heat. Do this for a couple of minutes and check the consistency again.
- Once the desired consistency is achieved, pour the mixture into a bowl and let it cool down for around half an hour or till it is completely cool. Once you are done with the above steps, the sugar wax is ready to be used.
Why Should You Choose Sugar Waxing?
There is no difference in the end result of using sugar wax and getting a wax job done at a salon. The sugar wax is designed to remove hair at the root. This ensures that when the hair grows back, it is smooth, soft and the growth is slow. Using sugar wax also remove painful ingrown hair.
Sugar Waxing Procedure
- Choose a large area of the body to apply sugar wax on first. Remove any lotion or moisturizer/cream that you may have applied over the skin. You can start waxing your legs first
- Apply the paste in a thick layer. Ensure that the wax is still warm, but cool enough so that you can handle it with your fingers. You can use a butter knife or a wooden popsicle stick to apply the wax. Spread the wax evenly in the opposite direction of hair growth.
- Use small pieces of cotton fabric to remove the wax from the applied area. Ensure that you have kept the wax on for at least one minute before you remove it. This would allow it to seep into the pores of the skin. To remove the wax, pat the fabric onto the applied area and then quickly pull it out like you otherwise would do using a wax strip.
- Pour any leftover wax in an airtight container and keep it refrigerated. Remember to reuse it within 4 to 5 weeks of time. Ensure you reheat the wax before using.
Sugar waxing is far less painful than the regular waxing at a saloon. Also, if you have a sensitive skin, it is better to do-it-yourself at home, than salon. So, if you wish to choose a cheap and simple technique to wax at home, then go for sugar waxing.