For women with oily skin, applying makeup can be a real challenge. It comes off and smudges easily thus spoiling your look, blocks your pores, and causes a number of skin problems.
However, we’ve brought you some makeup tips for women with oily skin. If you bear them in mind, you’ll be able to keep a smooth matte finish all day long.
READ ALSO: Coffee Face Masks for Skin Tightening
Prepare Your Skin First
The first tip consists in preparing your face before you apply makeup. This will make any skin products you use look better and last longer.
To do this:
- Removing dead skin cells will help to even out the texture and obtain a smoother finish. Go for soft exfoliants which are specially designed for your skin type. Do this at least twice a week.
- Exfoliation can cause your skin to get a little dry which it will try to counteract with more oil. Control this oil production by keeping your skin hydrated.
Always Use a Pre-Base
Using a pre-base for oily skin helps the makeup to stay in place with the right consistency.
- Cover the areas that are more likely to get oily such as the nose, chin, and forehead with a light, opaque pre-base which is free of oils. Powders are the best option.
- Before applying the pre-base,make sure that your face is clean and dry. Remember to do this before any makeup base, powder, or any other makeup.
Choose Makeup with a Glossy or Matte Finish
Another tip is to use mousses or powder makeups that give a glossy or matte finish.
- Look for formulas that are water-based and don’t contain any oil. For lasting makeup, choose mineral options that don’t have any fragrance. This type of product will be less likely to block your pores and cause acne.
- To apply the base, use a brush or a pencil. This will help to avoid blocking your pores and will absorb more excess oils, without promoting the production of more.
Don’t Use Too Much Powder
Use powder in moderation if you have oily skin. Although powders can give a silky finish, but too much powder covers the pores and increases the risk of in infection or acne.
- Only apply powder in places where you need it,and don’t use too much.
- It’s also important to use translucent matte formulas as they dull the shine of any skin tone.
- If you apply too much powder, dampen a makeup pad and lightly dab your skin to remove the excess oil.
Always Carry Blotting Papers
It doesn’t matter how impeccable or matte your makeup looks in the morning, if you have oily skin, your face will be shining in just a matter of hours. In this case, blotting papers are your best friend.
READ ALSO: Control Oily Skin With 8 Natural Remedies
- The trick to using these papers without destroying or removing all your makeup is to press them gently against the oily area and then remove from the skin.
- Avoid rubbing the paper on your skin, instead just dab with the paper to absorb the oils whilst leaving your makeup undamaged.
Remove Your Makeup before going to bed
Once the day is over, it’s imperative to remove your makeup. Leaving your makeup on overnight will block your pores and cause imperfections. You need to follow a daily routine.
- Use a soft astringent tonic that contains salicylic acid to improve your skin texture and size of your pores.
- If you also have sensitive skin, you might need to try a few different options first to find one that doesn’t irritate your skin.
Use Sunscreen for Oily Skin
Many women with oily skin don’t use sun cream because they fear it would to block their pores. However, you shouldn’t forget that exposure to the sun without sun cream causes formation of sun spots, freckles, and premature ageing. Therefore get a solar protection gel or light sun cream with SPF 50 or greater.