A Wisconsin man, Greg Manteufel had his lower legs and hands amputated after developing an unusual blood infection caused by bacteria in dog saliva.
After he was infection, he developed flu-like symptoms such as fever and vomiting at first. By the next morning, his temperature had risen and he was delirious. His wife, Dawn Manteufel, rushed him to the hospital when she noticed his body was covered in bruises. The Washington Post reported the bruises on his body made it look like he’d been beaten with a baseball bat.
READ ALSO: Sepsis: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments
Within a week, Manteufel’s legs were amputated from the knees down. Then the doctors had to remove his hands.
Doctors diagnosed Manteufel with a rare blood infection caused by bacteria called Capnocytophaga canimorsus that’s commonly found in the saliva of most healthy dogs and is generally not dangerous to humans, the Post reported.
But in Manteufel’s case, the bacteria got into his bloodstream, triggering blood poisoning, also called sepsis. The bruises on his body were actually blood spots caused by the sepsis.
Manteufel was administered antibiotics to fight the infection, but clots blocked blood flow to his extremities, causing damage to tissues and muscle. This made doctors to amputate his legs and hands in order to save his life, the Post reported.
Manteufel loves dogs and had been around eight of them about the time he became ill, according to his wife. It’s not clear which dog was carrying the bacteria.
READ ALSO: Bacterial Infection in Dogs (Leptospirosis)
She told the Post that doctors said her husband’s case was a “crazy fluke.”
Greg Manteufel has been at Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee for about a month. He recently had surgery to remove dead tissue and muscle from his leg amputations. This week, he will have two more surgeries to remove dead tissue, the Post reported.
He may also require nose reconstruction surgery it turned black due to lack of blood flow.