Salvia is a plant from the mint family and grows like a shrub. Salvia is a spice and the leaves are green and oval shaped and the flowers are white, red, and pink.
Salvia has many healthy properties. One of them is helping flatten the stomach, which makes it supreme for weight loss.
It has a long history as a medicinal plant and also as an ingredient for a lot of “potions”. They used to say that anyone who ate salvia leaves would gain knowledge.
The usefulness of salvia ranges from beauty to cuisine. Apart from adding taste to meals, it is also used in lotions and creams for skin care and hair treatment.
Benefits of Salvia
Some properties of salvia includes:
- It is anti-inflammatory, which makes it useful for relieving arthritis, muscle pains, and rheumatism.
- It is a potent antiseptic for getting rid of throat infections
- Fights viruses and bacteria
- It is rich in vitamins A and C
- It is astringent
- Strengthens your immune system
- Relieves respiratory and digestive problems
- Helps control blood sugar levels
- It is spasmodic, which makes it useful for stomach or muscle spasms
- Increases sweating because of its drying properties
- It can be used to ease menstrual related pains
- Soothes headaches and stomach pain
- Prevents fluid retention
- Boosts wound and ulcer healing
Who should avoid taking Salvia?
Large amounts of thujone, neurotoxic in high doses, can cause convulsions. Salvia is contraindicated for women who are lactating and for patients that have kidney failure or neuro-vegetative instability. Salvia can also cause abortion, so pregnant women should avoid taking it.
READ ALSO: St. John’s wort: Benefits and Side-effects
How to Use Salvia for a Flat Stomach
You can drink the salvia infusion cold as well as hot, preferably in the morning on empty stomach for best effects. Salvia is very good for people that want to have a flat stomach in a short time. It is ideal for women that are on a diet and men because salvia can regulate the digestive functions.
To prepare salvia tea, put 15 grams of the dried or fresh plant per liter of boiling water. If you prefer the more natural kinds, you can have a salvia plant in your house (in a flowerpot, the garden, a balcony, or in the kitchen with plenty of sunlight). You can to go a dietary or herbal store and buy dried salvia.
Once you mix the water and salvia, allow it sit for three minutes, then add lemon juice to taste (It is optional). You can sweeten this tea with pure bee honey. Its unsweetened flavor can be a little bitter, but it will depend on your inclinations.
You can pour the drink in a container with a cover and refrigerate while drinking it as a cold tea when you are thirsty. This amount should last you for three to four days. During this time, you should have a healthy diet, rich in fruits and vegetables, particularly those that cleanse and detoxify your body better.