Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability of a man to achieve or maintain an erection while still feeling sexual desire. The condition is can affect most relationships. ED has medical and psychological causes, or even a combination of both.
READ ALSO: Can Hypnosis Treat Anxiety?
The physical causes of ED
When the arteries that supply blood to the penis swell with blood, it presses close the veins that allow blood to circulate back into the body. This confined blood and erectile tissue form and maintain the erection.
In case of erectile dysfunction, not enough blood flows to the penis to be erect long enough for sustained penetration. Medical causes of ED include cardiovascular conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and hardening of the arteries.
- Nerve disorders can also interfere with nerve signals and prevent an erection.
- Also, diabetes may cause ED, because one of the long-term effects is nerve damage. Certain diabetes medications can contribute to ED, including antidepressants and treatments for high blood pressure.
- Men who smoke and take alcohol drink excessively can experience ED
- Obesity and being overweight can lead to ED.
- The chances of developing ED increases as a man advances in age.
- While only about 4 percent of men experience it at 50, that number rises to nearly 20 percent of men in their 60s. About half of men over 75 have ED.
How does the brain affect ED?
Erections begin in the brain. ED can also be caused by:
- feelings of shame about sex
- a past negative sexual experience
- lack of intimacy with partner
- the circumstances of a particular encounter
- stressors that have nothing to do with sex at all
How hypnotherapy can cure ED
According to licensed hypnotherapist Seth-Deborah Roth, CRNA, CCHr, CI, “first working directly with a hypnotherapist in person or via video conferencing to learn self-hypnosis exercises you can practice on your own”.
READ ALSO: Is Erectile Dysfunction Reversible?
The simple hypnosis exercise of Roth begins with relaxation, then refining a focus on creating and maintaining an erection. Since anxiety is such a critical component of ED, the method starts with about five minutes of closed-eyes relaxation.
According to Roth; “Close the eyes and relax them so much that you allow yourself to imagine they are so heavy and relaxed that they won’t open. Go ahead and give in to that feeling that they just won’t open, and tell yourself mentally how heavy they are. Then try to open them and notice you cannot.”
Also, Roth advises several minutes of focused awareness on deepening relaxation with every breath.
Once you’re thoroughly relaxed and breathing easily, turn your focus to imagining your partner in sensual detail. “Imagine you have a dial and you can increase the blood flow to your penis. Just keep turning up the dial and increasing the flow,” Roth advises.
READ ALSO: Does Marijuana Cause Erectile Dysfunction?
Visualization helps maintain the erection. Roth suggests closing your fists and imagining the power of your erection. “As long as your fists are closed, your erection is ‘closed,’” she says. Those closed fists can also create connection with your partner as you hold hands.
Roth also adds that hypnotherapy might not focus on getting the erection, but on the psychological issues that are preventing it.