The kidney is responsible for getting rid of waste and excess fluids from the body. Blood is filtered in the kidneys, producing one to two quarts of urine daily. From the kidneys, the urine passes through the ureters to the bladder. Urine is being stored in the bladder until it is excreted from the body. However, urinary tract infections (UTIs) can affect the normal function of the system. Reports that are yet to be verified scientifically claims that drinking cranberry juice will help the kidneys remain healthy and function properly.
Is Cranberry juice good for your kidneys?
According to experts, consuming cranberry juice may reduce the chances of one developing UTIs. Cranberry juice contains salicylic acid and polyphenols, which have antioxidant properties. Cranberry juice supports healthy functioning of heart and kidneys.
Other Benefits of Cranberry juice
Prevent Kidney Infections
Some UTIs can lead to severe kidney infection if left untreated for long. Recurrent UTIs may lead to chronic kidney infections which may cause permanent damage to the kidney. Drinking cranberry juice regularly will not have to suffer that much. Cranberry juice makes the urine more acidic, thereby reduces the risk of UTIs that can lead to infection in the kidneys. Cranberry juice might also be useful for preventing kidney stones by removing excess calcium from the kidneys.
Cranberry juice contains tannins which have several medicinal properties which are good at preventing UTIs. Tannins help prevent bacteria from sticking to the walls of the kidneys and bladder. Drinking this juice increases the amount of salicylic acid in the urinary tract which will prevent bacteria from thriving, thereby preventing infection, It will help to flush the bacteria out with the urine.
Ways to include cranberries in your diet
There are several ways you can add cranberries to your diet. They include:
- You can dress up your salad by adding fresh chopped or dried cranberries.
- You can eat dried cranberries as a snack in between meals.
- You can prepare a cranberry tea during cold days by adding 1 cup water and 2 ounces fresh crushed cranberries. Boil it and reduce the heat and simmer for half an hour. Then add 1 teaspoon orange juice, 1\2 teaspoon lemon juice, and sugar to taste.
- Fresh or dried cranberries are great in baked goods, such as cakes, breads and muffins, and have you tried them in oatmeal?
- Try adding cranberries to your favorite pasta dishes, especially chicken.