Prostatitis is the inflammation of the small walnut-sized gland called prostate, which produces seminal fluid. One of the major symptom of prostatitis is frequent urination during the night and even day. There are potent home remedies that can help treat prostatitis.
These remedies may not be a comprehensive cure for all prostate problems because prostatitis could be related to other health issues like cancer. So, it is best to consult your doctor before trying any of these remedies.
- Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds contains phytosterols which are potent remedy to help get rid of inflamed prostate. Phytosterols have powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Also, pumpkin seeds contains chemical that hinder the transformation of testosterone in dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is a primary component of an enlarged prostate. You can use pumpkin seeds to ease prostatitis symptoms by consuming about 80 grams of pumpkin seeds in raw, baked, or powdered form on a daily basis.
READ ALSO: Health Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds for Men
However, pumpkin seeds may aggravate the problem if you have excessive urination from the use of diuretics.
- Carrot Juice
Carrots are rich in powerful antioxidant known as beta-carotene and lycopene, which are known to fight the development of prostate cancer and to reduce prostate inflammation. Carrots contain high potassium contents which helps to shrink the swollen prostate.
To use carrot juice for prostatitis:
- Extract the juice from 4 large carrots in a blender or juicer and drink daily.
- To increase its effectiveness, you can adding carrots along with beets, tomatoes, parsley, and basil in your juicer or blender, blend together and drink.
READ ALSO: Health Benefits of Carrot Juice
- Watermelon Seeds
Watermelon seeds contain antioxidants which help cleanse your bladder and urinary tract and ease inflammation of the prostate.
To use watermelon seeds:
- Consume 1 to 2 Tbsp of raw watermelon seeds daily.
- Alternatively, add 1 Tbsp of raw watermelon seeds to 1 ½ cups of boiling water.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Drink this water daily for 10 days.
READ ALSO: Natural Ways to Prevent Prostate Cancer
Basil is one of the best common anti-inflammatory herbs. Basil helps to ease prostatitis-related inflammation and fights cancer and tumor problems.
To use basil:
- Add basil in soups, salads and main dishes
- Add basil to juice or smoothies to give them a boost.
- Take 1 to 2 tsp of basil in juice or powdered form on a daily basis.
- Corn Silk
Corn silk helps gets rid of prostatitis in both the prostate and the urinary tract.
To use corn silk
- Take the silks from 6 ears of corn and boil them in 1 quart of water for 10 minutes.
- Strain the silks from the water and retain the water in a quart jar.
- Drink 2 cups of this water daily.
Turmeric contains curcumin, which is a very effective anti-inflammatory compound. Turmeric also has antioxidants which helps reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer.
To use turmeric:
- Prepare a tea using fresh turmeric root.
- Alternatively, you can add 1 tsp of turmeric powder and a pinch of black pepper to a glass of warm milk.
- Stir continually while drinking this milk since the turmeric will not dissolve in the milk.
- Repeat either of these remedies twice daily.
The lycopene present in tomatoes is a potent antioxidant, which helps to reduce the size of the prostate and protects against cancer. Also, tomatoes also help to control excess urination.
To use tomatoes:
- Consume a 10 to 12 oz. glass of freshly extracted tomato juice on a daily basis.
- Eat foods that includes tomatoes such as soups, salads, and entrees.
- You will find that a lot of Italian dishes will have both tomatoes and basil as main ingredients.
- Green Tea
Green tea contains strong antioxidants which helps to reduce the size of your prostate while protecting you against the risk of developing prostate cancer. Green tea also helps to control excess urination.
Green tea can be used for prostatitis by:
- Brewing 2 to 3 cups of green tea from tea bags or leaves and drinking daily.
- Matcha green tea is more effective and should be considered too.
Goldenseal helps to shrink the swollen gland, ease the pains, and fight possible infection due to Boil 2 to 3 cups of water in a kettle.
To use goldenseal:
- Add 1 tsp of powdered goldenseal to a mug.
- Pour the boiling water into the mug and allow the tea to steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain and drink the tea every day.
- Kegel Exercises
Male Kegel exercises helps to strengthen the pelvic floor, and to reduce prostate size. It also helps to get rid of urination issues by increasing circulation to the area.
READ ALSO: Health Benefits of Kegel Exercises For Men
To use kegel exercise:
- Ensure that your bladder is empty before performing kegel.
- Lie down and clench the muscle which you would typically tighten in order to stop urination midstream.
- Hold the clench for 3 seconds and then relax for 5 seconds before repeating.
- Repeat 5 repetitions of this exercise 3 times per day.