Garlic is a remarkable anti-fungal agent and has been used for years, even before the invention of any modern medicine. Garlic also contains healthy elements that are absorbed into the body and are transformed into natural anti-viral agents. Garlic is used to treat a variety of medical conditions and the numerous health benefits of garlic has been recently proven by science.
Health benefits of garlic
1. Garlic helps reduce blood pressure
Garlic contains active compounds which helps reduce high blood pressure. Cardiovascular diseases like heart attacks and strokes are the leading cause of death globally. Hypertension is one of the top causes of these diseases.
In one study, 600–1,500 mg of aged garlic extract was just as effective as the drug Atenolol at reducing blood pressure over a 24-week period.
Garlic improves cholesterol levels
Garlic may lower risk of heart disease by lowering total LDL cholesterol. Garlic supplements can reduce total and/or LDL cholesterol by about 10–15% for those whose cholesterol level is high. Garlic specifically can lower LDL (bad cholesterol), but have no effect on HDL (good cholesterol).
Garlic may help detoxify the body
Garlic supplements contain sulfur compound which when taken at high doses helps to protect against organ damage from heavy metal toxicity.
A study of workers who have been exposed to lead in a car battery plant, found that garlic reduced lead levels in the blood by 19% in the 4-week study. It also reduced signs of toxicity, including blood pressure and headaches.
Garlic may help prevent Alzheimer’s and Dementia
The aging process is mainly caused by the oxidative damage from free radicals. The antioxidants in garlic support the protective mechanisms of the body against oxidative damage.
High doses of garlic supplements have been shown to increase antioxidant enzymes in humans, and reduce oxidative stress in those with high blood pressure.
Garlic helps fight common sicknesses
Garlic helps boost the function of the immune system to fight against common sicknesses like flu and colds. A 12-week study discovered that daily intake of garlic supplement reduced the number of colds by 63% compared to a control.
The average length of cold symptoms was also reduced by 70%, from 5 days in the placebo group to just 1.5 days in the garlic group.
The beauty uses of garlic oil
Garlic oil is a basic ingredient in some homemade preparations. Also, it is used to treat natural fungi in some products.
After spending a beach in the middle of summer, you may notice small spots on your face later. Simply apply garlic oil on the affected areas to completely eliminate them.
How to Prepare Garlic oil
- 6 whole cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of extra virgin olive oil (500 ml)
- ½ glass of lemon juice (100 ml) (The lemon will neutralize the strong smell of the garlic a bit and provide its own healthy properties).
- 1 glass bottle (at least 500 ml)
- Wash the garlic properly with warm water.
- Allow it to sit for 20 minutes without stirring.
- Remove the skin from each clove.
- Place the cloves on a small baking sheet and set the oven to 180°C.
- Cook the garlic for 15 minutes, and then allow it to cool.
- Pour the cup of lemon juice and then the garlic into a bowl.
- Then, pour the extra virgin olive oil into the bowl and mix with the garlic.
- Return it to the oven, at the same temperature,again for 5 minutes.
- Remove it, let it cool, and strain it.
- Put the garlic into the glass container.
Image source: Stylecraze.com
Disclaimer: The content provided on healthdiary365.com is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical doctor or healthcare professional.