Gout is a painful joint condition caused by the accumulation of microscopic crystals of uric acid in the joints. These gathered crystals bulges under the skin or are deposited in the urinary tract.
READ ALSO: Gout: Symptoms, Causes, and Prevention
What are the causes of gout?
Some possible causes of gout include:
- Hypertension or high blood pressure
- Increased uric acid in the blood
- High quantities of foods containing uric acid (seafood, for example)
- Alcohol abuse
- Fatigue and emotional stress
The constant formation and damage of cells, just like the ingestion of certain foods, produces a certain quantity of uric acid in the blood which the kidneys usually help to eliminate from the body.
When this fails to work, the levels of uric acid begins to rise irregularly. Crystals form and are deposited in the joints, causing sharp pain.
What are the symptoms of gout?
Depending on its growth or spread, gout can case different symptoms:
- Only one or more joints in the big toes, ankle, or knee, may become affected. This pain may fade in the span of a few days, but may recur once in a while.
- In general terms, the pain tends to happen at night and is acute and unbearable.
- The affected joint tends to be sensitive, hot, and inflamed or swollen.
Symptoms of the gout tends to fade after the first attack, but may reappear within 6 to 12 months afterwards in some people. Some people can develop chronic gout which may lead to joint damage and loss of flexibility in some joints.
Types of Gout
Gout is classified into three groups:
- Acute gout:This normally affects only one joint.
- Chronic gout:Episodes of pain are repetitive and cause inflammation.
- Pseudo-gout: This is characterized by recurrent attacks of pain and arthritis caused by the accumulation of uric acid crystals.
Natural Remedies to Treat Gout
1. Use of dandelion, friar crown, and green anise tea
Dandelion contains diuretic and cleansing properties, while friar crown has a protective effect in gout. Green anise has anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, the combination of these items help eliminate uric acid in the blood and treat gout.
- 1 tablespoon of dandelion
- 1 tablespoon of friar crown
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of green anise
- Heat the water and add the herbs.
- Turn the heat off once the water boils.
- Allow to steep for 5 to 7minutes before pouring into a cup to drink.
- Drink this up to three times per day.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another effective treatment for gout. It help clean body from high levels of uric acid. It also clean your colon and remove intestinal dirt.
Drinking apple cider vinegar makes your body more alkaline. High acidity in body provide relief from acute gout pain.
How to use:
- Drink 1-2 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar daily for quick relief.
- Alternatively, you can mix 1 tablespoon of ACV in one cup of water.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Drink this every day for quick relief from pain.
- Also, you can soak one cloth in raw apple cider vinegar.
- Wrap it around affected area.
- Keep it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Use this bandage everyday until pain subsides.
READ ALSO: Can Apple cider vinegar Treat Eczema?
3. Stinging nettle infusion
Stinging nettle is a diuretic plant that is recommended when levels of uric acid in the blood increases.
- 1 tablespoon of stinging nettle
- 1 cup of water
- Heat the water with the stinging nettle to a boil.
- Turn off heat when it boils and allow to steep for a few minutes.
- Drink this 2 to 3 times a day.
4. Lemon Juice
Lemon is a citrus fruit rich in vitamin C that contains anti-oxidant properties which helps to detox body from harmful enzymes. Lemon alkalize body and reduce production of uric acid.
Lemon can help clean kidney and reduce inflammation and pain. Lemon also help reduce fat accumulation and promotes weight loss.
How to use:
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in one glass of lukewarm water.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Drink this every day before going to bed.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is effective for relieving joint pain. Epsom salt helps reduce the accumulation of uric acids around joint, thereby reducing swelling and redness.
Diabetic patient can also benefit from Epsom salt as it makes insulin more effective. Regular uses of Epsom salt on affected area can help you treat gout fast without medication.
How to use:
- Add 2 cups of Epsom salt in lukewarm water in a bathtub.
- Stir well until the salt is dissolved.
- Soak the affected part for 20 minutes.
- Take a clean water shower afterwards.
- Repeat several times in a week.
The following are few tips on how to prevent or avoid gout:
- Drink lots of liquids
- Avoid alcoholic drinks
- Eat a diet rich in vegetables, grains, and carbohydrates.
- Reduce consumption of foods high in purines such as fatty fish, seafood, red meat.
- A daily low dose of colchicine can prevent attacks or at least reduce their frequency.
Image source: lifemartini.com
Disclaimer: The content provided on healthdiary365.com is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical doctor or healthcare professional.