Mosquitoes breed in dirty environment, especially areas that have drainage problems. These blood-sucking insects work as carrier of microbes and virus. Fortunately there are some repellents that you can prepare at home to get rid of them.
There are numerous products produced in the factory like mosquito coils and vapors which helps kill mosquitoes. However, these products may be damaging to the body when used for long. Smoke emitted from one mosquito repellent coil is equivalent to those of 75-137 cigarettes, thus causing harm to a large number of people across the globe.
Why do mosquitoes bite some people and not others?
It is very true that some people are immune to mosquito bites, though there is yet no scientific support to the claim. According to researchers, about 85% of human genetics is attractive to mosquitoes. Researchers also claim that there are certain elements of our body chemistry that tends to attract mosquitoes when found in excess on the surface of the skin.
Instead of using factory-produced repellents that contain harmful substance, go for natural herbs that are potent enough to repel mosquitoes and treat mosquito bites.
The smell of peppermint is strong enough to make a powerful natural mosquito repellent. The odor of peppermint kills mosquito and repels them. It cures the mosquito mark and prevent them from hovering around you.
READ ALSO: 6 Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp
You can apply peppermint oil on your exposed body parts. Also, you can plant peppermints in your back yard or front garden to keep your house safe from mosquitoes and other insects.
To use peppermint oil to repel mosquitoes, you should:
- Buy naturally extracted peppermint oil.
- Apply the oil on your limbs before going to bed.
- Leave them overnight to repel mosquitoes.
- Rub the peppermint leaves on bitten areas to ease inflammation.
Lavender is another plant that helps repel mosquitoes and other insects. Lavender has a calm scent which is soothing to your mind but kills mosquitoes. Planting them in your back yard will help get rid of mosquitoes.
Place a small lavender plant near your windows to repel mosquitoes. You use lavender paste or oil to make natural repellents which will keep you safe from mosquito bites.
- lavender oil
- dried lavender leaves
- Crush 20 dried lavender leaves into fine particles.
- Now add 10 tablespoons of warm water.
- Mix them well to form a slurp paste.
- Add 10 drops of lavender oil and mix them well.
- Use this homemade repellent on your limbs before going to bed every night.
Cedar Wood Essential Oil
Cedar wood oil is extracted by cold compress method from soft woods. It contains antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties. Also, it is anti-inflammatory, which helps relieve mosquito bite swelling. It is also a powerful remedy for repelling mosquitoes.
The direct use of cedar wood oil will stop itching caused by mosquito bite. Cedar wood oil used with peppermint and clove oil can help you treat the itching and welling combined. It can be used in making of homemade repellents.
- cedar wood oil
- peppermint oil
- clove oil
- Mix 1 spoon of cedar oil, 1/2 tablespoon of peppermint oil and 3 teat-spoon of clove oil.
- Keep stirring for 2-3 minutes so that all the three oil get mixed together.
- Now apply this on your leg or hand or exposed body parts.
- You can mix 1/4 cup of luke warm water and pout this into a spray can.
- Just use this as your mosquito repellent spray in out doors.
Rosemary plant also helps repel mosquito. The scent of rosemary is deadly to insects but soothing and relaxing to the human mind. You can plant rosemary in your garden or backyard to keep mosquitoes at bay.
- rosemary leaves
- peppermint oil
- Get a hand full of dried rosemary leaves.
- Crush them into fine particles.
- Add these powdered rosemary leaves with 10 spoon of peppermint oil.
- Apply this homemade mosquito repellent overnight.
- You can also apply it when you are outdoors.
Lemon balm is widely used as an insect repellent, including mosquitoes. You can plant them in your garden to keep your backyard devoid of mosquito. Lemon balm can also be used to treat mosquito bite.
READ ALSO: All to Know About Spider Bites
Lemon balm is also used in making of herbal tea. To prepare some home repellent for mosquitoes using lemon:
- Take 10 dried lemon balm leaves.
- Pound them in a mortar and add 1/4 cup of water.
- Make a paste out of it by using paste for crushing the leaves.
- Add 10 drops of peppermint oil and mix well.
- Apply this homemade mosquito repellent on your limbs overnight.
- You can also wear them while going outdoors.
- You can burn lavender leaves once a week inside your house to keep mosquitoes away.
- Grow plants that repel mosquitoes in your garden or backyard.
- Always keep your doors closed.
- Kill mosquitoes with electric mosquito trap
- Get rid of stagnant water which acts as breeding place for mosquitoes. Keep the surrounding clean.
- Avoid mosquito bites by using natural repellents.
- Apply these homemade repellents overnight.