Diarrhea is a stomach disorder which occurs when the system fails to absorb nutrient from food, thereby leading to watery stools. It is normally seen as one of the early signs of pregnancy. Though it is not restricted to only the early phase of pregnancy because women in their third trimester can also get affected by diarrhea or irregular/frequent bowels movement of watery stools.
Diarrhea usually leads to dehydration which can be a serious issue during pregnancy. So, it is advisable to drink 1 glass of cold water whenever you take a loose stool, so as to make up for the lost fluid and electrolytes in your intestine. Some women report to having mild diarrhea in late pregnancy just before they go into labor. It can be a sign of preterm labor for women who are less than 32 weeks or 37 weeks along.
Causes of Diarrhea during Pregnancy
Diarrhea is frequent bowel movement of loose or watery stool Diarrhea and pregnancy have been seen together due to the uterus structure. During pregnancy, the lower part of the body passes through several hormonal changes. Estrogen level increases to a level that can trigger diarrhea and vomiting.
- Rise in hormones, dietary changes, and increased stress, leads to frequent constipation and diarrhea.
- Prenatal vitamins can also cause diarrhea and upset stomach. Many pregnant women are not able to digest these vitamins properly, thus causing stomach problems.
- Diarrhea can be caused by food intolerance and allergies during pregnancy. Women who are lactose intolerant are at high risk of developing diarrhea in early pregnancy.
- Also, diarrhea during pregnancy can be caused by bacterial infection gotten from consuming contaminated food, dirty water, or stale beverages.
- Other common causes are use of certain medications and food poisoning.
Ways To Get Rid Of Diarrhea In Pregnancy
Ginger Root Tea
Drinking ginger tea can be one of the most effective way to get rid of diarrhea and vomiting during pregnancy. Ginger has calming effect on the digestive system. Its carminative properties protect pregnant women from vomiting and flatulence. It help improves mood swings.
Ginger also contains anti-inflammatory properties which reduce inflammation of digestive tract and protect colon. Healthy colon promotes easy absorption of nutrient from food helpful for the babies.
To prepare ginger root tea;
- Pour one cup of water in a saucepan
- Mix 2 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger roots
- Bring the water to boil and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes
- Strain it and sweeten with honey
- Drink such one cup of ginger herbal tea to get rid of loose motion
READ ALSO: Can Lemon Juice Affect Pregnancy?
Peppermint tea contains anti-inflammatory and carminative properties which helps treat upset stomach. This herbal tea can help stop diarrhea during pregnancy and provides relief from stomach cramps caused due to contraction of uterus.
To prepare peppermint tea:
- Pour one cup of water in a pot and bring water to boil.
- Add 10-15 peppermint leaves and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain it and sweeten with honey if you chose.
- Drink this herbal tea every day for fast relief
Drink lots of water
Diarrhea causes dehydration, which can affect the unborn child. Drinking plenty of water will flush out toxins from your colon and help you get rid of diarrhea and helps healthy digestion during pregnancy.
READ ALSO: Can Dehydration Affect Pregnancy?
Drink 8-10 glass of water everyday to manage the fluid loss caused by loose motion. Avoid intake of milk, alcohol, soda or other carbonated drinks.
BRAT diet can reduce the irritation in digestive tract, thereby soothing digestive system. BRAT diet includes four simple food group that are easy to digest and have pleasant effect on your intestine. It includes,
- Rice (white)
Banana is rich in potassium with natural laxative which helps diarrhea and constipation. Banana helps bind the bowel, reducing less amount of water in small intestine. White rice contains natural anti-inflammatory and calorie rich that help you feed the energy you need to carry the child. Applesauce has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that protect stomach from acid burns and irritation. The burnt part of toast acts as activated charcoal helpful in treating food poison-induced diarrhea.
Probiotics are excellent source of good bacteria that can eliminate bacterial infection to create healthy gut environment. The live-active cultures in probiotics helps balance the good bacteria and bad bacteria in your intestine. Probiotics has healing properties that can help stop diarrhea during pregnancy.
Image source: momjunction.com
Disclaimer: The content provided on healthdiary365.com is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical doctor or healthcare professional.