Constipation is a gastrointestinal disease which causes a decrease in intestinal transit and the hardening of the stool, making it difficult to expel from the body.
READ ALSO: Can Olive Oil be used as Lube?
Fortunately, olive oil contains medicinal properties which helps to relieve constipation by lubricating the stool to facilitate its easy expulsion.
Constipation comes with disturbing symptoms like bloating, gas, and abdominal pain, which can affect a person’s daily chores. The properties of olive oil makes it a potent remedy to eliminate symptoms
Causes of Constipation
There are numerous factors that can trigger constipation.
Consuming diet that is deficient in water and fiber causes your stool to be harder, making it difficult to expel. Foods high in saturated fats and processed foods should be strictly avoided.
Constipation is usually caused by a blockage that stops your stool from moving naturally. For example, reasons include intestinal obstruction, a narrow colon and colorectal cancer.
Why use olive oil for constipation?
Apart from its culinary use, some Asian cultures use olive oil to fight constipation. This is because olive oil acts as a natural laxative when consumed. This oil increases your production of bile, thereby aiding in food digestion. It also relieves inflammation and prevents the intestines from getting irritated.
READ ALSO: 10 Home Remedies for Constipation
It helps to soften stool, thereby keeping the environment of the colon in good condition. It is rich in omega 3 acids, vitamin E, K and antioxidants, making it vital for all intestinal problems.
There are four ways to use olive oil to relieve constipation.
Olive oil and banana
Banana is a rich source of potassium and potassium helps the natural and slow movement of the intestine. When banana is combined with olive oil, it will give your intestines enough potassium to perform their vital functions thereby preventing bloating and gas.
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (15 ml)
- Peel and cut the banana into slices
- Mix it with the olive oil
- Eat it when it becomes a smooth paste
Olive oil and lemon juice
This is another way olive oil can be used for constipation. However, when using this remedy, don’t add too much lemon to avoid increasing the acidity in your stomach.
You can lubricate your colon by taking it regularly at night.
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (5 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (15 ml)
- Mix the ingredients together and drink it.
Coffee and olive oil
This combination may seem strange, but caffeine in coffee is a powerful stimulant of the muscles in the colon which increases the rate of intestinal flow and softens stool.
- 1 cup of hot coffee (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (125 ml)
- Combine both ingredients. Then, drink in the mornings.
READ ALSO: Top 10 Essential Oils for Infertility
- Olive oil and yogurt
Yogurt contains a natural source of probiotic that helps food to digest faster.
- 1 cup of yogurt (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (15 ml)
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a cup of yogurt and mix well.
- Drink on empty stomach three times a day.
- Ensure that you complement these remedies with a healthy, balanced diet that is rich in fiber.
- You also need to reduce your intake of saturated fats in refined products. Instead, go for fruits like plums, tangerines, and oranges.
- Make sure you eat vegetables such as spinach, lettuce, asparagus, and Swiss chard.
- It is vital to go for regular checkups with your doctor
Culled from steptohealth.com
Disclaimer: The content provided on healthdiary365.com is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical doctor or healthcare professional.