Basil is an aromatic plant mostly used to add flavor to many recipes. Basil (Ocimum basilicum) is a medicinal plant from India and other tropical Asian countries. This plant contains properties that can help fight off depression and fatigue.
Basil is rich in antioxidants, vitamins A, C and K. It also contains minerals such as magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium, and manganese. Most people use Basil to fight common colds.
READ ALSO: 8 Foods That Help Fight Depression
Health Benefits of Basil
This medicinal plant has other health benefits:
- Anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic: Basil is powerful for easing several kinds of pain.
- Antibiotic and antibacterial: it strengthens the immune system and protects the body from infections.
- Digestive: Basil contains anti-inflammatory properties that also help the digestive tract and relieves indigestion and stomach gases.
- Antioxidant: Basil contains beta-carotene, which protects you from free radicals that oxidize your body.
- Basil helps repel mosquitoes and other insects.
- Anticoagulant: It helps prevent heart and blood vessel disease due to its vitamin K content.
- Basil reduces fever.
- It reduces blood sugar levels: Basil can help prevent diabetes and insulin resistance while helping your pancreas work smoothly.
- Sedative: it’s great for episodes of nervousness, insomnia, irritability or stress.
- Relieves cough and throat irritation.
READ ALSO: 12 Home Remedies for Upset Stomach
Remedy for fatigue and depression using Basil
Basil is a natural stimulant that works on different levels:
- Basil helps fight fatigue and exhaustion because it raises your energy levels. However, its stimulant effects don’t actually stimulate or cause nervousness, they actually relax the nervous system.
- Basil is an aphrodisiac that both men and women have used since ancient times to increase libido.
- Basil is also a potent remedy for depression. Basil helps you get into more positive moods.
READ ALSO: How to Treat Depression Naturally in 8 Ways
How can you eat it?
You can consume or use basil in several different ways depending on the problem that you’re trying to treat:
- Basil tea: You can use fresh or dry basil leaves for this tea. Don’t boil or cool the water for more than 10 minutes.
- You can add basil to your green smoothies along with other fruits and vegetables.
- Lemonade infused with basil: This refreshing tea helps get rid of fatigue.
- You can make a delicious pesto with basiland add it to your pasta, rice, etc. This condiment contains loads of fresh basil leaves and it’s deliciously intense.
- You can use the extract as a supplement, following the instructions of the product label or medical specialist.
READ ALSO: Depression in Children: What are the Signs?
Disclaimer: The content provided on healthdiary365.com is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical doctor or healthcare professional.