It is not always abnormal for a woman’s private organ to give off smelly odour. Vaginal odor may be observed throughout your menstrual cycle and may be strongly felt right after sexual intercourse.
- The most common vaginal infection that causes odour is bacterial vaginosis which is caused by an overgrowth of normally occurring vaginal bacteria.
- Also, a sexually transmitted infection called trichomoniasis can lead to vaginal odor.
- Poor hygiene such as wearing tight trousers and undergarments, douching, use of sprays on vagina, wearing sanitary pads for too long, and others can lead to vaginal odour.
Symptoms of Vaginal Odor
The symptoms of the feminine odor coming from your private parts vary from woman to woman. However, the most common symptoms includes:
- Fishy odor
- Excessive white discharge
- Foul-smelling discharge
- Metallic-smelling discharge
- Pain during intercourse
- Thick, white discharge
- Green or yellow discharge
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Vaginal itching or pain
List of STDs that don’t usually cause vaginal infection include;
If you experience vaginal odor without other vaginal symptoms, it’s unlikely that your vaginal odor is abnormal.
READ ALSO: 10 Effective Herbs for Vaginal Dryness
Less commonly, abnormal vaginal odor may result from:
- Vaginal cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Rectovaginal fistula(abnormal opening between the rectum and vagina that allows feces to leak into the vagina)
When to see a doctor
If your vaginal odor is abnormal and persist for several day, consult your doctor for proper examination especially if it is associated with other signs and symptoms like vaginal discharge, itching, burning, and/or irritation.
READ ALSO: Homemade Remedies to Balance Your Vaginal pH
To reduce vaginal odor:
- Wash your external genital area during regular baths or showers using a very small amount of mild, unscented soap and rinse off with lots of water.
- Avoid douching because all healthy vaginas contain bacteria and yeast. The normal acidity of your vagina keeps bacteria and yeast in check. However, when you douche, this normal balance is disturbed, thereby exposing your lady part to infection.
Home Remedies That Help Get Rid Of Vaginal Discharge Odor
Pineapple contains enzyme that improves the odor of vaginal secretions, making it helpful for your vaginal health. It can be eaten whole or in form of juice during your meals. You can drink one to two glasses of fresh pineapple juice every day for a few days.
2. Apple cider vinegar
ACV also helps fight vaginal odor. Vinegar contains toxins that helps eliminate the fishy vaginal odor. It is acidic in nature and is loaded with antibacterial properties that will help destroy the odor-causing germs
How to use:
- Simply mix two cups of vinegar in your bathwater and soak in it for 20 minutes.
- You can also mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz of water and drink it.
- You can also mix one tablespoon of vinegar in one quart of water and use as a douche.
You can soak in vinegar water once daily till the foul odor and discharge is treated. Drink vinegar water once daily and douche every two days for 2 weeks.
Use ACV with caution because some persons may be allergic to it. Step into the bathtub lightly, and if you experience a burning sensation, step out immediately and wash the area.
Garlic has a pungent smell that works in getting rid of vaginal odor. Garlic contains antibacterial properties that fights a wide range of bacteria, according to studies.
READ ALSO: How to Use Garlic to Treat Vaginal Itching
- A garlic clove
- A cheesecloth
How to use
- Peel the fresh garlic clove, and wrap it in a 6-inch square of cheesecloth.
- Attach a small string to it. Insert it into the vagina and leave it there overnight.
- Remove it in the morning with the help of the string.
Repeat once overnight. The pungent vaginal odor should be gone by the morning. You can repeat until the infection or offensive odor disappears.
Taking two cups of unsweetened yogurt daily with meals helps reduce vaginal odor considerably. Yogurt helps to restore the normal pH of the vagina, because it contains good probiotic bacteria which helps fight the infection and reduce the odor. Alternatively, you can insert yogurt into the vagina.
How to do
- Dip the tampon in the yogurt and gently insert it into your vagina.
- Let it be there for an hour or two. Remove and rinse the area.
If you do have very strong vaginal odor, you can dip cotton pads in the yogurt and mildly rub them on the vagina.
You can repeat the cotton pads method three to four times a daily until symptoms improve. The tampon method will help you to reduce the vaginal odor instantly.
5. Gooseberry (Amla)
Consuming gooseberry or amla daily is an effective herbal home remedy to get rid of vaginal odor. Gooseberry contains antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties which can help kill bacterial growth.
- 2 gooseberries
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 glass water
How to use
- Grind the gooseberries using a mortar and pestle.
- Add the gooseberry paste in a glass of water, roasted cumin powder, and a pinch of salt. Stir well before drinking.
- Repeat this remedy for two weeks or until symptoms vanish.
- Alternatively, you can also slice a gooseberry, add salt to it and let it dry in the sun for two days. Eat two or three pieces of the dried gooseberry per day for a week.
- Also, you can cut a gooseberry in half and put it in a glass of water and refrigerate it overnight. In the morning, add a little salt and roasted cumin powder and sip this water throughout the day. Do this for two weeks.
- You can also use the gooseberries to form juice and drink two tablespoons of the juice first thing in the morning for two weeks.
Disclaimer: The content provided on healthdiary365.com is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical doctor or healthcare professional.