Pneumonia is a lung disease. It is an acute form of respiratory infection in the lungs caused by bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Normally, when a healthy person breathes in air, the air fills the small sacs in the lungs. However, when a person with pneumonia inhales, fluids and pus fill the sacs, causing difficulty in breathing.
Symptoms and Risk Factor of Pneumonia?
Some major symptoms of pneumonia include:
- Coughing up mucus
- Difficulty breathing
- Chest pain
- Rapid or shortness of breath
- Rapid breathing and heartbeats
- Loss of appetite
It can take a person about 2 to 3 weeks to cure pneumonia at home. However, patients who suffer from chronic illnesses such as diabetes, asthma, chronic bronchitis, and heart disease should consult their doctors at the first sign of pneumonia.
Below are a few home remedies to get rid of pneumonia.
Risk factors for Pneumonia
Risk factors include:
- Having any chronic respiratory or lung disease
- Weak immune system
- Old age
- Mothers with pneumonia can infect their babies
- Viruses like hepatitis, measles or HIV
- Recovering from surgery
- Smoking cigarettes
- Difficulty in swallowing due to chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease or stroke.
- Living or spending lots of time in unhygienic and tight quarters.
Garlic may leave you with a bad breath, but it helps reduce the body temperature and clear the chest and lungs. Garlic also contains anti-inflammation properties to help treat pneumonia. To use garlic for easing pneumonia symptoms;
- Form a paste of a few cloves of garlic and rub it on your feet before going to bed. You can also put on your socks and go to sleep.
- Blend milk and water in the ratio 1:4 and blend 1½ teaspoons of garlic paste. Boil till it reduces to ¼. Then drink 3 times a daily until symptoms improve.
- Alternatively, you can crush some cloves of garlic, mix 1 teaspoon of lemon and 1 teaspoon of honey to it, and then stir well. Take a teaspoon, at least, 4 times daily until you see improvement.
- Fenugreek Tea
Drinking fenugreek tea helps remove toxins from the body through sweat. It also helps clear any congestion in the chest. Take 500ml of water in a pan and combine one teaspoon full of fenugreek seeds. Allow it boil, then strain to get the resultant liquid. Add about one teaspoon of lemon juice to the liquid and drink about four cups a day.
- Salt Water
You can ease pneumonia symptoms by gargling with salt water, at least, 3 times a day. This remedy will help clear the respiratory tract.
The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger will help get rid of pneumonia symptoms. Simply grate a piece of ginger and extract its juice. Blend 1 teaspoon of honey and a few drops of lemon juice in it. Drink this every day before going to bed.
- Carrot Juice
Make some carrot juice of about 3-4 carrots in a juicer. Sprinkle some cayenne pepper to the juice and drink three times daily until symptoms stops.
- Cayenne Pepper
A person with pneumonia will breathe better if the body releases mucus from the respiratory tract, Cayenne pepper helps the body achieve this quest. Cayenne pepper helps reduce symptoms of pneumonia by release mucus from the respiratory tract, which makes it easier for the patient to breathe. To a jug filled with 250ml of water, add 1 tsp of lemon juice and sprinkle a little cayenne pepper. Drink the water, at least, 4 to 5 times daily until symptoms subside.
READ ALSO: Top 5 Foods For Healthy Lungs
- Black Tea
Prepare a cup of black tea and add 3 teaspoons of fenugreek seed powder and 1 teaspoon of honey or sugar to your taste. Mix well and drink this tea once in a day.
- Sesame Seeds
Pour a cup of water in a pan, add a tablespoon of sesame seeds and bring to a boil. Once they are tender, add one tablespoon of flax seeds and boil for another 5 minutes or so. Strain the water. Combine a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of honey, for better taste. Drink this every morning, on an empty stomach.
- Baking Soda
To use baking soda for pneumonia, simply mix ¼ tsp of baking soda to 300ml of warm water and drink twice daily. Baking soda helps remove toxins from the body.
Turmeric works as an antifungal, antiseptic, antiviral as well as anti-bacterial treatment. Turmeric is a very powerful herb which can cure pneumonia easily.
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric with a glass of warm milk or water, and add a pinch of salt. Drink this every day before going to bed at night. If you opt for milk, do not drink water for minimum half an hour.
- Warm some water and blend a ¼ teaspoon of black pepper powder and 1½ teaspoon of turmeric. Have this once a day till you recover.
Image source: Medlineplus.com
Disclaimer: The content provided on healthdiary365.com is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical doctor or healthcare professional.