Most cases of urinary tract infection (UTI), can be very difficult to treat, especially in women. Doctors may prescribe multiple doses of antibiotics to get rid of recurring UTI.
Researchers are currently looking for a way to treat recurring UTIs using essential oils, with growing awareness around the possibility for antibiotic-resistant bacteria to bloom.
Conclusions From Studies
Essential oils can help fight bacterial infections. Lemongrass oil is an essential oil is effective against against drug-resistant microorganisms, according to several studies.
A study surveyed how effective lemongrass essential oil worked against common harmful pathogens, including Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus), Bacillus cereus (B. cereus), Bacillus subtilis (B. subtilis), Escherichia coli (E. coli), and Klebsiella pneumoniae (K. pneumoniae). The study found that lemongrass oil was effective in destroying these damaging pathogens.
Also, another research conducted in 2016, examined the effects of essential oil on antimicrobial activity of drug resistant bacteria. Some essential oils were able to reduce the number of bacteria by upsetting the cell membrane of some strains of bacteria.
How to use essential oils for a UTI
The recommended technique to use essential oils in getting rid of UTIs is by using a diffuser to inhale. The urinary tract is normally a sterile area, so you don’t want to introduce anything foreign into the area.
Avoid using essential oil in its concentrated form as this can have an adverse effect on you. You must first dilute essential oils first before applying on your skin. To dilute an essential oil, place 1 to 5 drops in 1 ounce of a carrier oil.
Examples of carrier oils include sunflower oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, and olive oil. Apart from lemongrass oil, other oils to try include basil oil, oregano oil, and rosemary oil.
- Never apply essential oils directly to the mucous membranes of the vagina or urethra.
- Avoid applying essential oils directly to the skin, always dilute them in a carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil.
- When you mix essential oil and carrier oil, it can be applied to the inner thighs, outside the labia, and mons pubis.
- A blend from Young Living called Citrus Fresh is effective against any type of bacterial infection.
- This oil blends many different types of citrus oils, including tangerine peel, orange peel, lemon peel, spearmint leaf extract, and grapefruit. The blend of citrus oils is a powerful anti-bacterial agent.
- Never ingest essential oils irrespective of the advert from the company.
Other treatments for UTIs
Usually urinary tract infections can be used to treat an oral antibiotic. Antibiotics can cause complications even though they are effective in destroying the bacteria that cause a UTI.
A major disadvantage of using antibiotics is that they can help create drug-resistant bacteria and kill off the “good” bacteria in the body, thereby exposing the body to yeast infections.
Disclaimer: The content provided on healthdiary365.com is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical doctor or healthcare professional.